Lincoln Diocesan Guild
St Peter and St Paul
Saturday, 30 December 2017 in 60m (8–3–23)
1825 Plain Bob and Original Doubles
(Date Touch being: 5 changes of ORIGINAL starting at backstroke and 1860 of PLAIN BOB - 1 x 20 & 15 x 120.)
1 Sister Maureen Pike
2 Anne Hardwick
3 Yvonne A Woodcock
4 Ian Hasman
5 Christopher C P Woodcock (C)
6 Bob Hardwick
Rung to mark the closure of the historic Whitechapel Bell Foundry earlier this year, bringing an end to over 450 years of bell founding (established 1540) and over 250 years of bell founding at 32-34 Whitechapel Road (purchased 1738/9).
The present peal of six bells here at Langton were cast complete by Thomas Mears II at the Whitechapel Bell Foundry in 1825. After many years of being unringable the bells were completely rehung by Whitechapel in 2008.
The six bells were given in 1825 by John Stephen Langton Esq. Lord of the Manor.
With the Church’s grateful thanks to Whitechapel and their staff for the recent rehanging of the bells and bringing these splendid bells back into ringable condition.
Ian Hasman (ringer of the fourth) is a former bell hanger at Whitechapel.
Rung also to congratulate our friend Joan Simpson, aged 85 (a ringer at Coningsby), on being awarded a B.E.M. (British Empire Medal) in the 2018 New Year’s Honours List for services to the community of Coningsby (which includes her bell ringing & fundraising). Well Done Joan, Well Deserved!
This date touch of 1825 changes was specially chosen to mark the year in which the six bells here were cast at Whitechapel.
(No. 3 of 3)

This performance is linked to the event Whitechapel Quarter Peals in Lincolnshire .