Church of St James, Kingston, Purbeck. A celebrated Gothic Revival church by George Edmund Street, situated on a exposed limestone escarpment in the Purbeck Hills, some 135 metres above sea level, it is a local landmark. Built in only 6 years, from 1874-1880, it was known to be his "favourite" church. The large central tower contains a fine peal of ten bells, well regarded for their tone. Originally cast as an eight by John Taylor & Co in 1878 (same year as St Paul's Cathedral), the tenor and treble were recast in 1920 by John Taylor & Co, and the other six bells retuned. In 2000, the bells were augmented to ten with two new Taylor trebles. The tenor bell weighs just shy of 27cwt.